The best way to explain how to create a new report is to step you through the process with creating a sample report.
Navigate to the reports directory, and ensure the Custom Reports column heading is present on the right-hand-side - this indicates you are able to view custom reports. If any custom reports are available, they will be listed here, clicking on them will open to view.
Report Administrators will also see the New Report action button near the top-right of the screen, as well as an action menu on each custom report.
Click New Report, set the:
- Title as My first People report,
- Fill in the Description field
- Tick the People tag
- Leave the Report Status as Draft for now, by leaving the Published checkbox un-checked.
- Click the Save & Close button to create the report and return to the directory.
You have created a new report, which will show in the Custom Reports column.
You can't click on the report to view it - this is because the report status is Draft.
Draft (or un-published) reports are reports that are not ready to view at the moment, perhaps because they are not yet ready for use (like this one) or because they have been retired.
If you change the report to Published, you can view the report and see that it is just a report template, and doesn't show anything meaningful.
The next step is to design the report, so it shows the information you require - this demo shows how to create a simple report listing the people in your organisation.
Designing the report
Click the action menu on the My first People report, and click Edit Report.... This will open the report designer in a separate window.
If the Edit Report... option is not present, click Report Details... and ensure the report status is Draft , as it is not possible to change the report design while the report is Published.
More info: learn more about the report designer
When you add a new report using the Add Report button, the default report has some basic settings to get you started:
- The report is set to A4 portrait (this will only matter if you intend to download the report as a PDF)
- The report has one datasource, which is connected to your Projectworks database
- The report has a page header and a page footer
- The report body has a table that is connected to the datasource
The Report Designer window in Preview mode
- In the Explorer pane, click Empty Report
- Then in the properties pane (on the right-hand side of the designer) under GENERAL, change the name to My first People report.
- On the report pane, click the textbox with the text Report Title in it.
- Then in the properties pane, click to expand the APPEARANCE section, and set the Value to My first People report
- Under Style/Font, change the size to 22pt and make it bold
- Click to expand the LAYOUT section, under Size, set the Width to 16cm and the Height to 1.2cm
- In the Explorer pane, select pageHeaderSection1 and set the Height to 1.2cm as well.
Preview the report to test your changes, then swap back to Design mode to continue.
In the Explorer pane, select My first People report/[Data Sources]/sql_Projectworks
Review the connection string in the Properties pane (on the right-hand side of the designer). Copy the connection string from the Projectworks integration area using the instructions below, otherwise read the FAQ about connection strings.
Browse to the Projectworks Admin area
Under the Integration section, click SQL Logins
On the Admin login, click View Login Details
On the SQL Login Details page, the Connection String box contains the Projectworks connection string - copy and paste from here into the ConnectionString property of your reports data source.
Returning to the report designer: edit the SelectCommand, click the black square beside the SelectCommand to clear it, then enter the following text - then click away to auto-update and refresh the fields:
Active AS ActiveFlag,
IIF(Active=1, 'Active', 'Inactive') AS ActiveLabel
- A successful change will show the five new fields under the sql_Projectworks element, as listed in the select statement and shown here:
Previewing the report now will cause some errors to occur, as the table is out of date with the changes we've made:
Click the table in the Explorer pane, and delete it
Change to the Components pane
Click Table Wizard
In the properties window, change the Data Source to sql_Projectworks
Drag and drop the Data Source fields into the Field Arrangement area
Change the Style property under Appearance to Blue Opal, or another option.
Click the Create button to add the table to the report body.
Click Preview to see the changes. You can see that the data is present, but the table layout could do with some tidying.
Changes must be saved so other staff can make use of them, using the Save button at the top of the page.
You are able to save as often (or not) as you like while you have the report designer open.
Once you have finished making changes (and have saved them), or if you wish to cancel/undo your work since your last save, simply close the report tab and return to the reports directory. From here, you can start a new design session if you need to, otherwise you can leave the report hidden, or publish it, as required.
Once published and saved, the Published icon appears beside the report in the Report Directory (below), after which, you can see your changes by viewing the report (bottom)