Learn about the two different timesheet modes as well as best practice.
Timesheets are an important part of any services business and drive a lot of information - for many different people.
Think of your timesheet as your daily report, recording the activities you have worked on. It shouldn't be difficult to complete - especially when done daily. Timesheet entries are some of the most granular pieces of data gathered, but play a large part in managing a project - and a business. Updating them accurately and frequently will help your Project Manager keep track of progress and budget, as well as providing valuable input into multiple reports.
As timesheets are a key input into invoicing at the end of the month - timely and accurate completion is essential.
- Complete your timehseet everyday (it is quicker and easier - and provides the best information to your managers)
- Include a brief comment to support your time entry
- If in doubt on where to enter your time ask your Project Manager or Line Manager
Timesheets operate in either a " day view" or "week view" to cater for different ways people work. There is also a targeted view for mobile phone so it is easy to do your timesheet from anywhere.
- Best for people who want to update their timesheet throughout the day, timesheet as you go
- Will likely suit people that work on many tasks each day
- Most suited for people who don't update their timesheet throughout the day, or use a small number of timecodes
Tip: You can switch between the modes at any time to find the one that works best for you.
In both modes the key concepts are the same, with the same set of tools available for managing your timesheet. There are a number of tools available to make completing your timesheet easier:
- Tasks that are used frequently can be "pinned" so they stay on your timesheet each week
- You can filter based on client / project or task name
- Tasks can be removed if no longer needed
- You can show/hide additional columns to see extra details
- You can add tasks by either searching for a project and seeing a list of tasks, or using the advanced search to find a task and add directly yo your timesheet