Learn some tips and tricks to to become a pro user of your timesheet.
Whether you are using the day view or week view, there are a number of tools and tips that will help you with your timesheet.
Timecodes that you use often can be pinned so they are always on your timesheet. You can either click the pin icon to pin (or unpin) a timecode, or select "pin timecode" from the options to the right of the comment field.
Timecodes that are pinned will be shown at the top of your timesheet (in day or week mode) and be ordered by company and project. When you unpin a timecode it will be shown in the relevant order. qqq
Sorting your timesheet
In the day and week view, timecodes that are pinned will be shown first, followed by the other entries. In week view, your timesheet will always be organised by projects. In the day view you can choose to have your timesheet sorted based on the order that entries are added, or have it organised by project. To change the sort order in day view:
- Organised by project: Tick "organise by project" if you prefer to have your work grouped into projects
- As you go: With "organise by project" unticked, entries are listed in the order they have been added
Add timesheet entry
If the timecode you have worked on isn't on your timesheet already you will need to add it. There are two different ways to find the timecodes you need to add to your timesheet.
Find your timecodes using the advanced search
The advanced search is the best option if you know what timecode you are looking for. It allows you to search across companies, projects and timecode names, and to add the timecode directly to your timesheet from the search results. So if you know the name of the timecode you need to use this will be the fastest way to get it onto your timesheet.
To add a new entry to your timesheet using advanced search.
- Click the "add timesheet entry" button enter a forward slash ( / ) to enter advanced search mode.
- Enter search term (can include companies, projects, or timecodes)
- A maximum of 10 timecodes will be returned in the results.
- Timecodes you have used in the previous 5 weeks (or have just been made available) will be listed first. Use multiple words to narrow your search.
- Click the required timecode and it will be added to your timesheet
Tip: The advanced search works as a keyword search across companies, projects and timecode names. You can use a combination of words to find your timecoe quicker. eg "development" will likely return many search results, while "development Acme" will return a more refined list..
Find your timecodes using the standard search
Using the standard search you locate the project you want, and open a window with a list of all the timecodes that are available for you to use. This is a good way to add multiple timecodes for the same project quickly.
Click the "add timesheet entry" button and search for the project you are working on.
Locate the project to use
- You can either type the name to filter your options, or click the arrow to see a list of all active projects .
- The search will check project and company names,
- At the top of the results are Suggested projects. Suggested projects are projects you have entered time against in the previous 5 weeks, or projects where you have been assigned a timcoee in the previous week
- Tip: If you search using the company name, it will return all projects which include the search text, and all projects for company names that match the search text
- This is helpful if you aren't sure of the exact project name but know what company it is for.
Pro Tip: You can search using a combination of company and project name. eg: "Acme website" will return any project for the company "Acme" with "website" in the project name.
Select the timecode/timecodes you want
Once you have selected the project you need, you will be presented with a list of all active timecodes. You will only be able to add timecodes that are active, available for use on the selected date, and if a project has been locked down, only timecodes that a Project Manager has assigned to you.
- Select the timecode/s you want to add to your timesheet and click save
- Any timecode that is unavailable can't be selected, and will show the reason it is unavailable (eg timecode ended on 15 July 2019)
Projectworks allows for time to be entered down to the minute. There are four different ways you can enter time, all with the same result.
- Enter the time in minutes (eg 90)
- Enter the time in hours and minutes (eg 1:30)
- Enter the time in hours as decimals (eg (1.5)
- Use the arrow to the right to select a time value in increments of 15 minutes (eg 1:30)
In this example, using any method the entry will be saved and shown on your timesheet as 1:30
Editing entries on your timesheet
- the timecode is still active
- the timecode is still available for use on that date (the Project Manager may have changed the date range)
- the timesheet entry hasn't been included on an invoice
- you are still assigned to the timecode (the Project Manager may have removed you)
You can use the text filter to filter your timesheet based on the company name, project name or timecode name.
Navigating your timesheet
There are different ways you can move through the days of your timesheet
- Use the date picker and select a date (this is helpful if you want to change the week you are looking at)
- Use the arrows by the date picker to move back or forward (by day in day view, or by week in week view)
- In day view click a day in the header row
Showing or hiding columns
The "show/hide" option lets you add or remove some columns which provide supporting information. There are currently two columns you can choose to show/hide:
- Billable: Shows whether the timecode is in a Billable project
- My hours remaining: Shows the total hours you have left on the timecode. This is calculated as the hours you have been allocated, less the total hours you have entered in your timesheet for this timecode.
Removing a timecode
Timecodes can be removed by selecting remove timecode from the button to the right of the timecode name. Any time entered against the timecode for the dates being viewed (the day in day view, or the whole week in week view) will be deleted. All time entered on any dates outside the date range viewed on the timesheet will be retained. If the timecode is pinned it will also be unpinned.
Note - the timecode will always show on your timesheet on any dates that it has time entered against it.
Changing between day and week view
Cut / copy / paste / clear
If time is entered against an incorrect code there are a set of controls to help you move it easily. Each of the controls will apply to the time entry as well as the comment.
Project Managers: You can edit peoples timesheets for them and move time to correct timecode if entered incorrectly. The cut and past controls will make this easier to do.
Using your timesheet on your phone
There is a specific timesheet view used on mobile phones. The timesheet is presented for a single day and operates in day view mode, with the differences being that you are unable to see or enter a timecode multiple times for a day from your phone, pin/unpin, or remove timecodes.