Shadow resources can be used to build up the resource profile of a project without using named resources. They also act as a placeholder if you don't have a person with the required skills or capacity.
What are Shadow Users?
Shadow users are created for a specific project and do not go into a pool of resources that can be assigned elsewhere. They can be set up with billable and cost rates to feed into the margin/profit calculations.
When to use a Shadow User
- If you want to set up the required resource profile for your project but don’t have the people you need (helps with planning)
- When you don’t have a person (or capacity) for a certain role, or at a certain time
- All resourcing for shadow users is treated as a pencil booking
Creating a Shadow User
To create a Shadow User click the "Add Resource" button on the Resourcing screen of a project, or from the Project Resourcing workbench. On the Add Resourcing screen:
- Select "Resource a Shadow" which will display the details needed to create a Shadow User
- Select the relevant attributes - office, team and position are mandatory
- Enter the hourly billable rate to calculate the amount their work effort will be changed to the client. This will feed into the cost of future resourcing for the projected burn at completion calculation.
- Depending on your access level, you can also specify the hourly cost to the project. This will be used to calculate the cost to your business for the resourced hours, and will be factored into the margin/profit calculations
Editing a shadow resource
Each shadow resource exists solely on the project it has been added to. You are able to edit the details of the shadow - just click the name on the resourcing screen or select edit shadow from the action menu on the right hand side.
Moving resourcing from a shadow to a user
When you are ready to move the resourcing from a shadow to a user you can simply select swap this resource and select a user and all resourcing will be removed from the shadow and added to the user.